Tag Archives: Downtown

The Catholic Church of St. Paul in Piraeus

The Catholic Church of St. Paul, located in Notara Street, right opposite the Hellenic-French School “Jeanne d’ Arc”, was built in 1839. The swift growth of the Port of Piraeus in the mid 1830’s resulted in the increase in the number of Catholics living in Piraeus and consequently the need for a place of worship for the Catholics emerged. Till then, on Sundays and Feast days, the Catholics of Piraeus attended the Mass in a chapel built on the premises of Frederikos Marketis’ ( rich tradesman and naval agent) mansion. In 1837, Rev. Comnstantine Sargologos, Vicar General of the Parish of Athens, foresees that … < Read More >

Read More

St. Spyridon Church – Piraeus’ Patron Saint Church

Dating back in the 11th century, St. Spyridon’s Monastery dominated the port of Piraeus for centuries, witnessing all the phases of the turbulent history of the port, till 1827, the year it was destructed. A huge fortified building, its existence being identified with the Port of Piraeus, St. Spyridon’s Monastery was mainly known as “the Monastery of Draco”, since-during the years of the Venetian Occupation of Piraeus- the Port of Piraeus was called Porto Leone (the port of the lion) and “Porto Draco” (the port of the Dragon), due to the gigantic Piraeus Lion decorating the port until 1687. A “castle monastery”, St. Spyridon’s … < Read More >

Read More

The Holy Trinity Cathedral – Piraeus’ Jewel of Church Architecture

The Holy Trinity Cathedral (in Greek Aghia Triada), situated in the center of Piraeus, within walking distance from the Port of Piraeus, was built within the years 1956 and 1964, in the place of the first church of the Holy Trinity built in the 19th century and completely destroyed by the Allies Bombardment of Piraeus in 1944. The Holy Trinity Cathedral, covering a surface of 835 sq.m, is a byzantine rhythm church with a huge dome actually flying over the structure. The dome, having 40 windows, is supported by 8 circular triangles and … < Read More >

Read More

The City Gate & the Middle Gate of Piraeus

We cannot be sure of the exact number and location of all the gates of the ancient city of Piraeus. However, today three gates can be seen: the City Gate, the Middle Gate and Ietionia Gate, all of them known as the City Gates. The City Gates are extremely important as, according to archeologists, they constitute the oldest part of Piraeus fortification works. The City Gate is the oldest one, built at the beginning of the 5th century BC. Through the City Gate passed the main road to Athens. What can be seen today is the bases of the two towers of the gate. Beneath the avenue H. Skylitsi lies – in excellent condition – the yard that … < Read More >

Read More

The Municipal Art Gallery of Piraeus

The Old Post Office of Piraeus is located at the intersection of Filonos St and Karaoli & Dimitriou St. The historic building itself is certainly – after the restoration / renovation it has undergone – one of the most majestic and handsome samples of neoclassical architecture in the city of Piraeus. Based on the exemplar model of the Post Office of Geneva, the Old Post Office was constructed during the first years of the 20th century in order to house the services of the Post Office, Telegraph and Telephony (PTT), in a time when, in most parts of the country, postal services were housed in private lodges. The building … < Read More >

Read More