The first shipyards were opened in Perama in 1928.
The main ship repair zones owned by OLP (Piraeus Port Authority) are:
- Perama (maximum draft 8-9 metres), offering two piers, one dock for berthing astern and two floating docks with lift capacity of 15,000 and 4,000 tons, and capacity for ships of approximately 40,000 and 12,000 gt respectively. The floating dock dimensions are 200 x 30 metres and 110 x 19 metres.
- Two dry docks with lengths of 150 metres and 100 metres in the Central Port (Vassiliadis area).
- Additionally there are separate berthing docks within the Repair Zone, including Drapetsona, Agios Georgios, and Kynosousa area, used for various maintenance works.